||Standard (developed by Microsoft)
||Open manually; may run a program or script when opened
||★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Popular
Updates the Windows Registry when run; custom REG files can be created to alter different aspects of Windows; to create your own registry update file, follow these steps:
Important: Manually updating the Windows registry is an advanced process and should only be performed if you know exactly what you are doing. Incorrect registry updates may render Windows inoperable.
- Launch Regedit (From the start menu, select Run, type "Regedit")
- Select the section of the registry you are interested in modifying
- From the File menu, select Export
- Choose "Selected Branch" from the Export Range option at the bottom of the window.
- Save the file as a ".reg" file.
Microsoft Registry Editor
Information from the PC File Extensions Reference